The Ankh-Morpork Times
 
David Eggerschwiler
 
Blogs
Ankh-Morpork Times
Lists
 
Previous
The End is Near
The Pittsburgh Penguins won the Stanley Cup and I ...
Culture in Boston
Kennywood
777 books
Geeky Graduation
I've always won Time Agent
Fake Cordon Bleu
Plymoth Plantation and Mayflower II
Six Flags New England
 
Atom Feed
 
Powered by Blogger
 

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Witches, Pirates and History in Salem

The (in)famous Salem Massachusetts is a short drive away from Boston and even accessible by public transport, thus I found myself up there last week on a rainy Friday.

Salem is mostly known for the Salem Witch Trials of 1692 and so it is not surprising to find a good half dozen museums dedicated to this topic in town. I visited four of them and am now a much wiser man ;). Overall it is indeed heavily commercialized and the museums are mostly a collection of dioramas, puppets dressed up to represent different scenes, so mostly rather disappointing. I also visited a pirate museum, which had the same concepts but instead focused on Pirates of the area. The highlight of the day was a guided tour of The House of the Seven Gables, which became famous as a story by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

As is the case in many towns and cities in New England, Salem also featured a large amount of old houses and so I spent a lot of my time there admiring and taking pictures of them. The results can be found in my online gallery.

From Salem, MA

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

  • board
    Cool blog.
    I loved Salem and Boston too.

    Look forward to meeting another new friend in Tempe! Not long now.

    By Blogger rentawitch, at 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
Last Played
 
 
Library Thing delicious Youtube
Xing / OpenBC LinkedIn
 
Visitors
Locations of visitors to this page