The Ankh-Morpork Times
 
David Eggerschwiler
 
Blogs
Ankh-Morpork Times
Lists
 
Previous
Hippocampus Pontohi
My first whale shark!
The Island of Sharks
Whales and Dolphins
Mountain Hiking
Penguins, Albatross and other birds
Stewart Island: Hiking, Birding and Kiwi Spotting
Routeburn Track
No Whales but Stars
Abel Tasman Coast Track
 
Atom Feed
 
Powered by Blogger
 

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Caribbean Reef Shark

Since the beginning of my diving career, I was fascinated by Sharks. Learning to dive in Thailand, I got many close encounters with docile Leopard Sharks, and then of course the jaw-dropping encounter with the Whale Shark.

So in 2012, I finally managed to get some time off to go on a serious diving vacation. The prospect to see Whale Sharks again, brought me to Utila, a small island in Honduras. And indeed, on a snorkling trip, I did encounter a Whale Shark. After Utila I headed onwards to Roatan for some more diving, and especially a shark dive with Caribbean Reef Sharks, where the sharks were lured in by food. I was so excited by the chance to see the sharks up close, that I had trouble finding my camera under water. Fortunately, it was firmly attached and another diver pointed out where it got to.

There were many sharks present and after the feeding, since there was no current, we were allowed to swim towards the sharks for a bit. And there the magical moment happened, a Caribbean Reef Shark lined up with my camera and I managed to get a perfect picture of the shark. This is still my favorite shark picture.


Here is a quote from my original blog post:
Already back in Utila I saw advertisements for Shark Diving in Roatan and so I booked this dive for Wednesday, it was offered by a company in Coxen Hole, but a short cab ride took me there. We went down to 20m and were able to sit/stand in front of 2m high corals, which ensured that no Sharks would turn up behind us. At first we just watched the Sharks, there were about 15 female Caribbean Reef Sharks present, but since there was no current, we were allowed to swim around after a while. And that was a breathtaking experience, every way I looked, I saw at least one Shark :). At the end we went back to the Corrals and the Sharks received the fish they came for, after a short frenzy everything was eaten and the Sharks disappeared. We then had the opportunity to look around the bottom for Shark teeth, and even though I was more interested in looking at the remaining Sharks, my roommate gave me one of the teeth he found :).
 Even though I enjoyed diving in Utila and Roatan, I will most probably not return, because it is very difficult to get there from Switzerland and there are many other places which offer similar or even better diving. Nevertheless, I will always treasure the shark encounters I had there.

More pictures from Honduras can be found in my gallery.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
Last Played
 
 
Library Thing delicious Youtube
Xing / OpenBC LinkedIn
 
Visitors
Locations of visitors to this page