The Ankh-Morpork Times
 
David Eggerschwiler
 
Blogs
Ankh-Morpork Times
Lists
 
Previous
Galapagos Penguin
Caribbean Reef Shark
Hippocampus Pontohi
My first whale shark!
The Island of Sharks
Whales and Dolphins
Mountain Hiking
Penguins, Albatross and other birds
Stewart Island: Hiking, Birding and Kiwi Spotting
Routeburn Track
 
Atom Feed
 
Powered by Blogger
 

Saturday, May 30, 2020

Weedy and Leafy Sea Dragon

I first encountered Sea Dragons in the New England Aquarium in Boston back in 2009 and I was fascinated by these creatures. When I started planning my second long diving expedition, viewing them was very high on my list. However, since they mainly live in Tasmania, which is not a diving hotspot, I was sceptical if I could fit the detour into my schedule. Fortunately, I learned that they also can be found in the Sydney harbour and so a plan was made.

Since Dive Center Manly only operated on the weekends, I planned two full weekends in the area, with side trips in between. And having clearly articulated my wishes, the dive guide went out of his way and found Weedy Sea Dragons for us on both weekends


Planning my onwards trip to Perth with a stopover in Adelaide, I learned that there is a different kind of Sea Dragon south of Adelaide, and so I organized a trip with Diving Adelaide.
First  we went to Rapid Bay, but we couldn't find any Sea Dragons there. The dive guide then gave us a choice. Either we try again here, or we get back in the car and head to another spot where they recently spotted Sea Dragons. We obviously voted to check out the second spot and so we headed to a dive site called The Bluff in Victor Harbor. And there we were extermely successfull, diving along the kelp and back I counted 10 Leafy Sea Dragons, 6 of which were pregnant males, however, since they all look alike, I might have counted a couple of them twice ;).


So, all in all I was very happy with my dive excursion in southern Australia :).

Here are the original blog posts and web albums:
- Sydney: blog, web album
- Adelaide: blog, web album

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
Last Played
 
 
Library Thing delicious Youtube
Xing / OpenBC LinkedIn
 
Visitors
Locations of visitors to this page