The Ankh-Morpork Times
 
David Eggerschwiler
 
Blogs
Ankh-Morpork Times
Lists
 
Previous
back to Civilisation in record time
Mountain Trekking
Going North
Travelling
Golden Triangle
Trekking
Chiang Mai and the Wats
Bangkok and the Movies
Bangkok!
Nightwish
 
Atom Feed
 
Powered by Blogger
 

Monday, September 08, 2003

Ruins, Ruins and more Ruins

On Thursday, 04.09.03, I took the bus from Phitsanulok to Sukhothai, where I visited the Sukhothai historical park, since everything was close together I took a 'mountainbike' (with only one gear!) to make my explorations, which peaked in visiting a small monks dwelling ~6km away from the main sites. The ruins were very interesting and had some impressive Buddhas, and Khmer- and Sukhothai-style wats and chedis.
The next day I went back to Phitsanulok where I met a Thai student (a friend of my sister), who showed me around.
With the 10.07pm train I continued on to Ayuthayah, where I arrived 3.45am. At the second Guesthouse I stopped, someone opened the door, since all the rooms were full that night I was offered a couch and could catch some more sleep.
In the morning, more or less fresh, I rented a bike and started to explore the ruins of Ayuthayah. The Maps in Lonely Planet led me in the wrong direction a few times, but in the end I found everything I looked for. Compared to Sukhothai, the ruins here were not half as interesting. The best was the famous buddha head, which is overgrown with treeroots. Since it was still quite early I decided to drive a little bit overland, to visit some of the places which were farther away. With a little bit of good luck and my sense of orientation I managed not to get lost ;-).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
Last Played
 
 
Library Thing delicious Youtube
Xing / OpenBC LinkedIn
 
Visitors
Locations of visitors to this page