The Ankh-Morpork Times
 
David Eggerschwiler
 
Blogs
Ankh-Morpork Times
Lists
 
Previous
1'059 kilometres for "Weird Al" Yankovic
Moving In
At the Movies
Wild Baby Rabbit in Pittsburgh!
You know you're getting settled in the US when...
First day in Pittsburgh
Hello USA
Scholarship and goodbye Switzerland
666 books on my virtual bookshelve
Medieval / Fantasy Photoshooting
 
Atom Feed
 
Powered by Blogger
 

Thursday, August 14, 2008

1'125 kilometres to get to an amusement park

Being on a road trip I wanted to see some things on my way back, so I studied the Lonely Planet. Unfortunately, there weren’t too many interesting things on the way, but then I noticed a mention of a Six Flags Amusement Park located 25 miles South of Cleveland. Granted this was not directly on my way, but I had time after all.

First came some local sightseeing and so I stopped in Downtown St. Louis and took the tram to the top of the Arch where I had a stunning view of St. Louis and its surroundings.

A couple of miles outside of St. Louis were the Cahokia Mounds, a UNESCO World Heritage site, containing huge mounds which remained from the largest Prehistoric Indian community in America north of Mexico. Another interesting sight there was Woodhenge, a circle of wooden poles rebuilt according to excavations that were done at this place.

Next followed a couple of hours driving which were interrupted by a short lunch break in the historic Downtown of Greenup, IL.

Besides a couple of small bio-breaks I then drove straight on to Aurora. By the time I arrived there it was dark and raining heavily. Without a map and no sign of the park, I was slowly getting worried about being in the wrong place so I stopped at a gas station to buy a map and ask for directions.
When the guy at the cashier’s desk told me that Six Flags has closed a year ago, I was quite thunderstruck, he then recommended me to drive to Sandusky instead and visit Cedar Point which would be a much better amusement park anyways and it would be only about a two hour drive… After driving for almost 10 hours I wasn’t too concerned about driving further, so I got in my car and continued my trip.

And indeed after about two hours I finally arrived at Cedar Point. I drove all the way up to the park to make sure I was in the right place. Of course it was closed and I then had to backtrack to find a place to sleep, because as I found out, it being weekend before school started it was a very busy time and many hotels and motels were already fully booked. Fortunately I found a moderately cheap place which wasn’t too far away 20 minutes later. After driving 1’125 kilometers in 17 hours I was very glad to get into a bed :)

Labels: , , , ,



3 Comments:

  • mein lieber eggi...1125 km, dass schaff ich in ca. 9-10h, schon des öfteren bewiesen...es grüßt die MaRyMoUsE

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 AM  

  • Dies mag in Deutschland funktionieren, aber in den USA wo ich mit 120 km/h schon 15 km/h schneller als erlaubt unterwegs war, wollte ich es nicht riskieren noch schneller zu fahren. Auch wenn ein früheres Ankommen nicht zu verachten gewesen wäre ;)

    By Blogger David, at 9:47 AM  

  • hmmm, magst wohl recht haben, die schiessen glaub ich in amiland auch schneller als in deutschland...na gut hast gewonnen...jedoch, anstatt des nervenkitzels in cedar point hättest es doch mal drauf anlegen können *zwinker*
    ich sag nur schweizer grenzkontrollen *lol*
    und wieder grüßt die MaRyMoUsE

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
Last Played
 
 
Library Thing delicious Youtube
Xing / OpenBC LinkedIn
 
Visitors
Locations of visitors to this page