The Ankh-Morpork Times
 
David Eggerschwiler
 
Blogs
Ankh-Morpork Times
Lists
 
Previous
Hammocks in the Yasawa Islands
Fiji: The Soft Coral Capital of the World
Stopover in Aukland
Bottlenose Dolphins in Rangiroa
Tahiti
Rapa Nui
Galápagos
Geocaching in Quito
Caribbean Reef Sharks and Nurse Shark in Roatan
Whale Shark in Utila
 
Atom Feed
 
Powered by Blogger
 

Thursday, December 06, 2012

Thrills and Caches: Brisbane and the Gold Coast

My port of entry into Australia was Brisbane and I was very surprised how efficient the immigration process was, it was so quick I even had to wait for my bag to arrive!

On my first full day in Brisbane I explored the City Business District (CBD) looking for Geocaches as well as making a short sidetrip into Chinatown to visit The Antipodean Steampunk Show, a cool exhibit featuring Steampunk related items crafted by local artists.

The next day I collected my car rental and headed South to the Gold Coast and there I found a Geocacher's haven. All along the Gold Coast Caches are hidden as part of the Gold Coast Power Trail (GCPT). Each Cache introduces a critter indigenous to the Gold Coast and is hidden in an area said critter would like. Unfortunately, the weather was not on my side and after 90 minutes and 7 Caches heavy rain started, so I fled into a shopping mall. If I happen to return to the Gold Coast then I definitely know where to go Caching :).

Now we're coming to the reason for my trip to the Gold Coast, the theme parks! There are several of them and Dreamworld has the best reputation for rollercoasters whereas Wet'n'wild has the best reputation for water slides. So on the next day, I made my way to Dreamworld. I did spend a fun day there, even though the "thrill rides" were not quite as thrilling as the ones I experienced in Cedar Point. They especially had the same problem most rides in Europapark in Germany have, they were just too short. The best rides were The Tower of Terror II and the Buzzsaw, which I rode seven times!

Next I went to Wet'N'Wild, where I might have made a tactical error. The first waterslide I visited was the Aqualoop, a waterslide where the floor drops out under you and where, after a short period of almost free fall, you pass through a sideways looping. This was a truly breathtaking experience. After this, all other water slides seemed tame. So it may not surprise you that I spent the end of the day at Aqualoop, managing to get a total of seven rides, before the park closed. If you are in the area definitely check out this waterslide!

Labels: , , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
Last Played
 
 
Library Thing delicious Youtube
Xing / OpenBC LinkedIn
 
Visitors
Locations of visitors to this page