The Ankh-Morpork Times
 
David Eggerschwiler
 
Blogs
Ankh-Morpork Times
Lists
 
Previous
The Vad Vuc & Modena City Ramblers @ Gaswerk Winte...
Coldeve @ Culture Club
Who wants to study at the University of Florida?
Riedhburg XV
LibraryThing's Top 106 Unread Books
Bookparade
Ill Niño, Labia & A.S.P. @ Salzhaus Winterthur
Lenzburg
Oberschan
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
 
Atom Feed
 
Powered by Blogger
 

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Computer Spring Cleaning

Over the last two days I was trying to clear my Computer from unnecessary data. This cleaning fit was triggered when the computer warned me that only 180 MB storage space remained on the main system partition...

And so I started to go methodically through all folders to hunt for the big space huggers. I was astonished at the amount of temporary files I found! Some of them leftovers from installing programs others from running programs...

During this cleanup I came upon two big annoyances:
1. iTunes: After I dutifully deleted all the folders called TEMP, iTunes wouldn't start anymore. It told me that it was missing the file iTunes.msi which was previously located in a TEMP directory!!! After reinstalling iTunes it worked again, but I'm still wondering who the heck had the idiotic idea to hide a vital file in a TEMP directory?

2. Outlook Express: Seeing that the Sent Messages Folder was over 700 MB in size, I opened Outlook Express and deleted all the files in that folder. Immense was my surprise when I noticed that the folder's size on my disk hadn't decreased by one Bit! I had to delete the file by hand. That worked, but when I deleted only half the files in another folder and it's size didn't decrease, deleting the whole file was out of the question, so I had to copy things around to get rid of the deleted messages. Any pointers how this could be done more efficiently would be greatly appreciated!

Now I'm happy to report that the system partition again has 3.3 GB free space.

Labels:



3 Comments:

  • ;) perhaps not useing Outlook Express?

    By Blogger Silver, at 12:30 PM  

  • Google "pst shrink" or read this:
    http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=784899

    af

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:43 AM  

  • Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try that :)

    By Blogger David, at 12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
Last Played
 
 
Library Thing delicious Youtube
Xing / OpenBC LinkedIn
 
Visitors
Locations of visitors to this page